thesilentwhispers

The Silent Whispers

I am trying, yet once again to get back on the blogging wagon. Now that I don't have mandatory readings, I hope to try and share my opinions on books.

The Son of a Certain Woman
Bram Stoker
Progress: 21/387 pages

#FridayReads October 11

Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

And I am back with a #fridayreads/weeklywrap up!

Last week, I asked if there were any audiobook recommendations and though I received none (if you wish to leave one please leave a comment), I went ahead and bought one. It is Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Thankfully, the narrator, Peter Firth, manages to mostly captivate me and the experience of listening to an audiobook has thus far been pleasant.

The only difference between reading the book and hearing it is that it is sometimes difficult to absorb the descriptions of the surroundings, because all the sudden the narrator is saying a litany of adjectives quite rapidly.

Otherwise, I am motivating myself to make a few changes on this blog. There should be a post coming up on upcoming events in my city, Vancouver! (Represent!) And of course, the backlog of reviews to be written. Hopefully, I will gain more readers if I review more books.

Oh and before I leave, I must tell you about a prize that had me chuckling all throughout the day (but please, it is not safe for work). It is the Literary Review's Bad Sex in Fiction AwardApparently, Faulks won this award-- though thankfully not for Birdsong. And dear John Updike won a Lifetime Achievement award for Bad Sex in Fiction!

Have any you read Updike? Do you agree with the Lifetime Achievement Award? What about your experiences with audiobooks? Are there any good ones you've heard or are you still like BOUND BOOKS ONLY!

Much love,