thesilentwhispers

The Silent Whispers

I am trying, yet once again to get back on the blogging wagon. Now that I don't have mandatory readings, I hope to try and share my opinions on books.

The Son of a Certain Woman
Dracula
Bram Stoker
Progress: 21/387 pages

#FridayReads / #WeeklyWrapup September 29th

Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie We Need New Names - NoViolet Bulawayo The Thing Around Your Neck - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Delayed much?

Hi Readers!

So I am back with a new edition of #FridayReads. I really don't have that many huge updates but here it goes.

I finished reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and I LOVED IT! I loved it! I think I may be even crushing on the writer herself.

Yep, so that is a spoiler for how the review of that book is going to go ... if it ever goes up. (I am kinda bad at putting up reviews, eh?).

I also went on a book haul during the weekend, where I bought We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo and The Thing Around Your Neck by Adichie. I am pretty excited for the former considering that I lived in Zimbabwe during my entire adolescence-- though, I read the chapter and I could not situate myself at all. It does have some similarities with Americanah by bringing in the diaspora aspect of Africanhood (if such a thing exists).

I feel that I will start another themed read which would be  Contemporary African Literature; sadly, I hesitate because I didn't even post a single review for my last themed read. Then again, no one has commented negatively about it. So it is okay?!?

Finally, I am toying with the idea of testing out a new format of reading. I used to , and to a great extent, still am a strong advocate of the "BUT IF IT IS NOT A BOUND BOOK YOU LOSE ALL THE EXPERIENCE." Yes, I put all caps, because that is how strongly I felt. You see, I work at a relatively new job, where I am required to spend an inordinate amount of time doing the same task again, and again, and again. Which is why we are allowed to listen to music. I have been thinking of downloading an audiobook or two and reading while listening. It is much better than logging around Stephen King's The Shining (when am I ever going to finish that?!?) or feeling awkward because there is no time to sneak in a few pages from Americanah.

So that is it from me. I hope you have a great week.

xox, S.